March 9, 2010

How Much Is Too Much Information

I grew up believing that spouses should share everything--no secrets. And I went into marriage with that idea. But as time has gone by, there are times that I'm glad that my spouse doesn't tell me everything. For one reason, it is unethical for him to tell confidences. I have to admit, though, sometimes I can guess anyway. Like the time some of youth parents were swapping mates. I didn't know, and still don't know, the specifics; but I could tell because youth do talk.
Or the time a church just didn't feel right to me. Later I found out about the hate mail that flew back and forth between various church families.

Of course, many church folks do believe that spouses share even confidential information. So sometimes, people assume I know things that I don't. Like the time a woman stopped by the house to talk to me about the affair her husband was having with another member of the congregation. She assumed I knew all about it. Before I could stop her, she gave me too much information.

What about you? Have much information do you and your spouse share about the church? Does your spouse ever share confidential information with you? Do you ever share any of that with your kids? (In my experience, kids usually know more than we often give them credit for.)

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment