March 7, 2012

TSA Humilates Mother

Friends, I thought long and hard about posting this, because it's a little outside the usual fare. But it just seemed too important to let slide.

A number of years ago, I traveled to the Holy Land and saw how countries in the Middle East treat their citizens. In Jordan airport, in particular, local people were herded like sheep and treated like dirt. I thought to myself, "Thank goodness I live in a place where that can't happen." Seems I was wrong.

A young mother was traveling through airport security...and the story goes downhill from there. The story is disturbing and shows extreme ignorance about security in general, and about what is takes to pump milk specifically. To shame a woman--a mother--in this way is worse than anything that Rush Limbaugh said or has ever said. Pumping milk, if you've done it, is difficult under most circumstances. A woman is not a cow. She cannot simply pump on demand, at least I never could, especially in a stressful situation, like this one surely was.

One thing I still don't understand is that TSA won't let a person take more that 3 oz. of liquid on a plane. You would think that empty bottles would have been better than full ones.

Read it for yourself. Here the story link from the CNN website: 'I wanted to cry': TSA makes mom pump milk.
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/03/05/tsa-breast-pump-hawaii-bathroom-amy-strand?hpt=hp_t3

I even sent a letter of complaint to the TSA. You can too. Here's the address:
TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov and I got a response.

As Christians we are called to transform the world. This is another reminder of how far we have to go.

Kathy
Clarksville, TN

No comments:

Post a Comment