July 11, 2011

I Have My Soul Back

Mike, my one-day-retired-husband said to me, "I feel like I have my soul back."
I replied, "After only one day? That's great!"

When Mike was still pastoring, I said to him one day, "Wouldn't it be nice if people came to you asking for ways to deepen their faith rather than complaining?"

He had just dealt with a situation where someone complained, "Why were the flags taken out of the sanctuary?" (referring to the flags that were removed for youth Sunday so that the young people could have more room for their play). Then there was the time that a director of the food pantry yelled at one of the clients (completely inappropriate); and the list goes on and on.

Dealing with people is part of the job, but it can batter your soul. So when Mike said to me, "I have my soul back", I knew that he already had new energy even after one day of retirement.

Thank you God for restoring Mike's soul. Inspire all pastors to take time to "Be still" with you so that their souls can be restored even in active ministry. Amen.

Jacquie Reed,
Fishers, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment