August 30, 2010

My three favorite books in high school were A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, To Kill A Mockingbird, and The Diary of Anne Frank -- each of which mentions a tree throughout. (I read recently that the chestnut tree to which Anne Frank frequently referred was toppled by wind and heavy rain. )

Anne wrote in her diary in 1944, "I look up at the blue sky and the bare chestnut tree, on whose branches little raindrops shine, appearing like silver." From this, I realized how aware Anne was of the minute details of the tree. Her poetic words offer a beautiful picture of a view outside the window. I feel her "visits" to the tree refreshed and energized her as she lived in small, cramped quarters for so many years.

When I am dealing with a challenge or difficulty, I find myself much more focused on the simple elements of life: a drop of rain on a blade of grass, the rabbits chasing each other in the backyard, the color of flowers, the interaction of mothers and children. However, when life is good, so to speak, I pick up again, not nearly as much aware as I was when things weren't going well.

God, increase my awareness of all parts of your creation, every day, no matter what is happening in my life.

Amen.

Jacquie Reed
Fishers, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment