April 18, 2011

Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition

At the end of our Sunday service, we read the Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition, number 607 in the UM hymnal. In case you don't have it memorized, it is a prayer of surrender and discipleship.

But I'm struggling with this part:
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee of laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low by thee...

This is my struggle: How much is me being put to suffering by God and how much am I put to suffering by other people? I frankly don't think God causes suffering, but I know for a fact that other people do. But in either case, I also believe that God will have the final say and that say will be an everlasting "Yes."

This is Holy Week. I also can't help but think that Jesus had some of these thoughts as well.

As you examine your soul this week, please find ways to stop all the suffering you can.

Grace, Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment