November 30, 2010

A few weeks ago, I wrote about attending a program given by Cami Walker, whose book, 29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life, is an invitation to give some kind of a gift for 29 days to persons encountered day to day. I decided to take the challenge. I completed simple gifts such as letting someone in the flow of traffic, holding the door open for the person behind me, giving the person in front of me in Target 3 pennies to pay her bill, calling a friend, etc. I only purchased a couple of items -- a cupcake for my husband's dessert and a card to send to a family who experienced the death of their elderly mother. Interestingly I really didn't have to look for opportunities to give, life just brought them. The 29th day ended Sunday, but I decided to continue. My biggest gain was that I became more aware of the way others are kind to me.

Anytime I am made aware of others, then I also increase my awareness of God.

If you are looking for a book to brighten the long winter days in January or February, I recommend Cami's book.

Jacquie Reed
Fishers, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment