December 5, 2012

Riding the Circuit to all the Christmas Parties

Just how many parties can one church have? Don't get me wrong, I love the Christmas season and enjoy parties. But sometimes I feel like one of those circuit riders galloping from one house to the next. This week I've got three, and that doesn't count another community dinner or office Christmas party.

Perhaps Christmas parties run the risk of being too much of a good thing.

As a clergy spouse, sometimes, I confess, I feel obligated to go. And I do hate to send my spouse to sit alone. The food is always wonderful and there is always too much. And too much temptation. So I am pacing myself this year with the food, because I don't want to gain the usual 5-10 pounds. So why do I bemoan going?

I do enjoy the laughter and good times, but I don't like making small talk to people whose's names I don't really know. And I suppose, I think that Christmas, while being fun, is also a time of reflection on the Incarnation, which Will Willimon calls, the "surprising overlap of heaven and earth."

Sometimes, I just want to stop and listen and admire the beauty of the season. I don't like the hectic rush, not all the time anyway.

Christmas is surely about celebration, but it is also about peace on earth and peace in my soul.

This Christmas I hope you have a chance to slow down and enjoy all the gifts that God showers upon you.

Grace, Kathy

1 comment:

  1. I was invited to two different events this morning. Plans fell through for both and I got a lovely morning all to myself! I pray for you some peaceful days and times to connect with the season.

    ReplyDelete